Arts & Mission Conference
5-8 June 2019
Bromma, Stockholm, Sweden
The Arts and Mission Conference will be an opportunity to explore how we connect the gospel to our culture and how our personal and shared activities can become a place for the world’s transformative encounter with God. Come and join us!
To affirm art for its own sake. We will focus particularly on the visual and performative arts affirming their intrinsic value in keeping with God’s creative nature and expression in creation.
To explore gospel, art and mission. We will explore what the gospel has to do with art and what art has to say about the gospel and mission. The church and the arts share a concern for exorcism, prophecy and healing (confronting evil, proclaiming the gospel and healing of body and mind).
To seek a prophetic edge. Artists offer a critique of mass culture, as does the gospel. However, sometimes the arts are uncritically embraced by the world and the church, and the message of the gospel is likewise uncritically identified with this or that culture or worldview. We believe Christian engagement with the arts should bring a prophetic edge to the mission of the church.
To equip the church in mission. We will seek to demonstrate the role, significance and power of the visual and performing arts in witnessing to the gospel in the life and mission of the church.
What we hope to achieve from the conference
Through engagement in discussions and workshops we will:
- Discover how our understanding of the biblical text is enhanced/changed through engagement with art.
- Discover the community building, therapeutic and healing potential of art for communities.
- Explore frameworks for discernment of the divine prophetic presence bearing witness to the gospel in art.
- Gain an appreciation of the role, significance and power of the visual and performing arts in witnessing to the gospel in the life and mission of the church.
- Gain an appreciation of how God and the “other” are encountered and brought into fellowship through practice of art.
- Establish a network of those interested in exploring the issues of the conference on an ongoing basis.
The conference will take place in Bromma Folkhögskola, Åkeshovsvägen 29, 168 39 Bromma, Stockholm, Sweden.
Accommodation is organised in First Hotels Brommaplan, Kvarnbacksvägen 135, 168 74 Bromma, Stockholm, Sweden. It is a 15 minute walk from the Bromma Folkhögskola.
Conference starts with dinner on Wednesday, 5 June and ends with lunch on Saturday, 8 June.
Conference fee covers three nights with arrival on the Wednesday and departure on the Saturday, all meals & coffee breaks from Wednesday dinner to Saturday lunch and conference facilities. The following fees apply:
- accommodation in a moderate single room - 350 Euros
- accommodation in a standard single room - 380 Euros
- accommodation in a standard twin room per person - 265 Euros
- no accommodation, only meals & coffee breaks - 110 Euros
Conference fee can be paid to the EBF bank account or in cash during the conference (only Euros will be accepted). Please ensure that you mark any transfers Mission and Arts conference followed by your name.
EBF bank account details:
Beneficiary: European Baptist Federation
Address: Baptist House, Postjesweg 150, 1061 AX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Bank Name: Spar- und Kreditbank Evangelisch-Freikirchlicher Gemeinden eG
Bank Address: Friedberger Str. 101, 61350 Bad Homburg vdH, GERMANY
Account no / IBAN: DE64 5009 2100 0000 1717 00
If you need a visa for Sweden, please contact Helle Liht at helle(at)ebf.org as soon as possible.